first page | beaches | archaeology | the towns
Tourists visiting Costa Verde have the opportunity of visisting monuments dating back to the Neolithic, Nuraghic and Punic ages.
The oldest Neolithic evidence can be seen near the San Giovanni and Santa Maria ponds, about 20 km from Guspini, towards Oristano.
Menhir in Perdas Longas deserve to be mentioned, representing the Mother Goddess and the phallus, dating back to 2000 B.C. In the Guspini area there are 45 nuraghi; here are the most important ones: nuraghe Melas, on the S.S. 126, towards Terralba, is a complex nuraghe, dating back to 1200 B.C.
West of Nuraghe Melas is the Nuraghic fortress of S'Aurecci (800 B.C.): the site can be reached taking the S.S. 126, towards Terralba; at km 98 take the road to Santadi and continue for about 3 km. Half-way between the two monuments is the nuraghe Brunku 'e S'Orku (1200 B.C.): it can be seen taking the provincial road to Santadi.
The town of Neapolis bears witness to Carthaginian civilization in this territory; the ruins are about 20 km from Guspini, near the San Giovanni pond. The city was built in the VI century B.C., in an area already lived in since the Late Neolithic.
Some small ex-voto statues, with a typical siro-palestinese iconography, have been found and are exhibited in the National Archaeological Museum in Cagliari. Neapolis became important with the arrival of the Romans: it extended for 34 hectares, it was surrounded by walls and it had two thermal complexes inside.
The semi-abandoned village of Montevecchio is between the valley sloping towards the sea and the one leading to Guspini, surrounded by woods and vegetation: a sort of miniature city, a true environmental and urban jewel up to the 60's.
The architecture of the nineteenth-century Direction Building (to become a museum), with its beautiful liberty frescoes, and the Foresteria homes.
Half-way between Montevecchio and the coastal desert is the small town of Ingurtosu: the mining direction, built like an English castle with wooden balconies appear to the visitor, after passing an arch inside the building.